Summer Book Review | PT 2
Hey, friends! I can't believe it's JUNE already! Today on the BLOG, I wanted to share the 5 books I have been & will be reading (fun fact: I actually listen to all of these in my car & while I’m editing) this summer. These books have really pushed me mentally & creatively and have continued my business growth, my self awareness & my knowledge of the art of photography. You'll see with each book below, I've shared my 3 biggest take-aways/quotes & a link for each book so you guys can buy it ASAP! Happy reading (or listening), friends!
by: mark manson
1. “And in the short amount of time between here and there, you have a limited amount of F’s to give. Very few, in fact. And if you go around giving a F about everything and everyone without conscious thought or choice—well, then you’re going to get F’ed”
2. “This is the most simple and basic component of life: our struggles determine our successes.” - he had some awesome personal stories to back this up that really opened my eyes to the benefits of failure.
3. “In my life, I have given a F about many people and many things. I have also not given a F about many people & many things. And like the road not taken, it was the F’s not given that made all the difference.” - I took a lot away from this when it comes to trying new avenues in my business & having the idea be rejected by the people around me. I take a step back & say should I give in to this or should I try it & see where it goes.
favorite quote: “If you want to change how you see your problems, you have to change what you value and/or how you measure failure/success.”
by: napoleon hill
1. “The starting point of all achievement is DESIRE. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desire brings weak results, just as a small fire makes a small amount of heat.” - With everything I do, I look at how much I want it - wether that’s a wedding out of state or achieving a financial goal - if the desire is strong, I put even more work in it than I would with something that actually doesn’t matter much to me.
2. "It is one thing to WANT more, but it is entirely different to be WORTH more." - This book enhanced my goal making quite a bit - make specific financial goal, Verbalize it, Say it twice every day. But with that, I had to take a step back & analyze how much my time, skill & service is WORTH.
3. “TELL the world of what you intend to do. But first, SHOW it.” - this quote & concept has made me really go out and DO before speaking.
favorite quote: "I don’t have a favorite quote from this book. BUT he did give you about 20 questions to answer about yourself & your business. After I sat down & took time to do this, I had a hard reflection on the things I needed to change in my life & in myself to take my dreams to the next level."
3. 4 HOUR WORK WEEK *currently reading*
by: tim ferriss
1. “For all of the most important things, the timing always sucks. Waiting for a good time to quit your job? The stars will never align and the traffic lights of life will never all be green at the same time." - I am learning to use my time wisely to make opportunities happen whether or not it’s the “right time.”
2. “But you are the average of the five people you associate with most, so do not underestimate the effects of your pessimistic, unambitious, or disorganized friends. If someone isn't making you stronger, they're making you weaker.” - I’ve become really aware of the people I surround myself with & how the push me to think outside the box & achieve the goals I have in my life & business!
3. “Being able to quit things that don't work is integral to being a winner” - Tim really emphasizes the ability to use your time so wisely, which means play to your strengths in your business!
by: gary vaynerchuk
1. I listen to a lot of Gary’s content but this book is pretty great! He shares a crazy amount of success stories that are truly getting me inspired.
2. I’m honing down which social media platforms are going to be the most beneficial for my business & doubling on the action I take on them.
3. “Always put your money back into your business.” - so many of the success stories did this while working 3 to 4 jobs ON THE SIDE of pursuing their dream job or career. And invested every cent back into their dreams which was the turning point of their success & their growth.
4. Everyone Communicates Few Connect *going to read*
by: john maxwell
1. I’ve researched some topics that John will touch on - “When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment, you create trust.”
2. “Connectors create an experience everyone enjoys.” - which is a HUGE goal of mine!
3. "If you’re going to connect, people need to know that you understand them.” - working on listening skills! Can NOT wait to read this!!
Feel free to contact me personally if you have any questions about the books above! Go ahead and email - firstname.lastname@example.org or DM me on Instagram!
Let's get chatting!